Jan. 15, 2020: The Don Walker Memorial Scholarship Committee is seeking to raise $23,000 this year, which would allow the fund to double the amount of money given each year to a journalism student at either Marquette University or the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee.
Our first fundraising event is a an auction of six 16-by-20-inch limited edition framed lithographs signed and numbered to 1,000 by sports artist Michael Mellett.
As the Green Bay Packers continue their march toward the Super Bowl, these limited-edition lithographs are the perfect celebratory gift for the true Packers fan.
Each lithograph is printed on 80-lb. Howard Linen Cover Stock from an offset printer. These lithographs were printed using a plate, not a printer or copy machine. Unframed copies usually sell for between $30 and $50 online.
- Bidding begins at 8 a.m. Thursday, Jan. 16.
- The auction will be open only to those living in the five-county Milwaukee area. Bids from outside that area will be accepted only if the bidder agrees to pick up the lithographs in Milwaukee. Lithographs will not be mailed.
- Email your bid to email@example.com. Make sure you specify which lithograph you want.
- Bidding will close at 5 p.m. Monday, Jan. 20, and winners will be notified via email.
If more bids are sought, the deadline will be extended to 5 p.m. Wednesday, Jan. 22, and a notification of extended bidding will be published on the scholarship’s Facebook page.
Starting bid requirements:
- Bidding for the lithographs of former Packers head coach Mike Holmgren and former defensive end Reggie White starts at $50 each.
- Bidding for the lithographs of former Packers running back Paul Hornung and former linebacker Ray Nitschke starts at $75 each.
- Bidding for the lithographs of former Packers quarterback Bart Starr and former head coach Vince Lombardi begins at $100 each.
Any disputes arising from the event will be settled by the committee, and the committee’s decision will be final. Thanks to Thomas Tolan for donating the lithographs.
Good luck, and happy bidding!
This scholarship honors the legacy of Donald L. Walker, an alumnus of Marquette University and the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He was an editor and reporter for the Milwaukee Journal and Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and a founding member of the Milwaukee Newspaper Guild.
Over nearly four decades, Walker covered the issues and events of Milwaukee and beyond with integrity, fairness, wit and compassion. He was a consummate professional who balanced his life with his family, friends, sports, literature and music.
The Don Walker Memorial Scholarship is administered through the MPC Endowment, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit foundation affiliated with the Milwaukee Press Club. The scholarship greatly appreciates the support of its leadership sponsors, including the Milwaukee Newspaper Guild and the Milwaukee Press Club.
To donate, checks can be made out to MPC Endowment Ltd. Please write “Don Walker Scholarship” in the memo field. Checks can be mailed to: MPC Endowment Ltd., 1505 N. 119th St. Wauwatosa, WI 53226.
No formal fundraising event for the scholarship fund is currently scheduled, but individual donations continue to be made. You can find tips here on how to organize your own event to raise money for the scholarship fund.
You can also share your memories of Don here.